Job Opp: Make a difference as our Chair and Trustees
JOIN THE NEW BOARD OF NOCTURN, A CONTEMPORARY PERFORMANCE COMPANY WITH A SOCIAL HEART AND TECHNOLOGICAL EDGE.
Under the Artistic Direction of John Darvell, NOCTURN has developed a ‘unique’ way of blending dance, accessible technology and interactive events, to engage audiences in experiences they might encounter free and accidentally.
NOCTURN take risks in order to create new ways to bring dance to a wide audience. Intrinsic to our professional work is the contribution and empowerment of our participants; school children, young people, adults and our online community.
Formed in 2007, the company has consistently spearheaded an alternative approach to accessing dance through the combined use of film, social media, transmedia storytelling and live installation performances.
Help our rural company grow
We are now facing an exciting period of growth; creating powerful online and installation based work, which tackles issues we all face today around our consumption of technology.
The company is at the early stages of developing a new ground-breaking touring installation work ‘ANTIDOTE’, for the South East, which blends dance and public art in an interactive ‘edge of your seat’ tale focused on the impact of fake news on today’s society.
Our previous online work has include ‘Revelations of Miss White’, a contemporary online dance mystery told solely through Facebook with an international audience of some 19,000 followers, with videos being viewed by up to 8,000 fans. Our installation piece ‘…And They Have Escaped’ fused a museum’s collection with dance, technology & projection with the aim to explore our fascination with living our lives through our mobile phones. This piece was told to the public through an app, iBeacon hardware, video and projections.
Over the coming year we are exploring changing our company structure in a bid to open up other potential fundraising opportunities. NOCTURN is currently a Limited Company by shares to a not-for-profit with a trading arm. With one full time employee we can scale up depending on the size of our projects. One such project employed some 29 creative professionals from the South East.
By 2020 we would like the creative work to be well recognised on a national platform, with an additional base in Scotland and an expanded outreach work, employing additional freelancer workshop leaders. In addition, we are proposing to increase our core team to 3 full time employees to make NOCTURN resilient and robust and ensure the legacy of our work.
…and make a difference
We are seeking a Chair and Trustees with a focus around the South East England area, to be part of our Board. This is a chance to make your mark by nurturing our company to expand its creative impact and reach across the sector.
Your enthusiasm for the work we do is key! We need a range of skills but are particularly keen to hear from those applicants with experience in:
- Digital Platforms
- Distribution and Marketing
- Organisational Growth
- Finance and Governance
- Legal Matters
What can you offer?
We are looking for a Chair and Trustees who can offer one-year intensive support to take the company to the next level. If you are someone who has a proven knowledge in the above areas and with the following key skills and competencies we would love to hear from you.
- Demonstrate a clear passion for NOCTURN’s work, creative process and social impact
- Have good contacts within the arts and creative industries
- Experience in the above key areas, a successful track record in producing work which blends dance and technology or practical experience in delivering transformational change
- Ability to work well as part of team and willingness to take collective responsibility for the governance of our company
- Experience in formulating strategic plans, developing organisational policies, defining goals and evaluating performance
Understand the responsibilities of leading our company with due care, diligence and skill.
- Broker opportunities for NOCTURN at events that lead to greater recognition for and investment into the company.
- Offer meaningful support to the Artistic Director.
- Acting as a critical friend to the organisation across all its processes, with particular reference to its growth.
- Engage with, share and interlink your own industry network with the organisations’ social media presence.
- Find opportunities, provide strategic oversight, be a leader and evaluate our outcomes with the common goal of making NOCTURN’s aims achievable in the next 3 years.
We actively welcome applications from people with additional needs, disabilities and from a diverse range of background with reference to race, religion, gender and sexuality. We hope that our flexible approach to work with our board may remove some barriers.
Interested candidates are asked to send their CVs and a short expression of interest to John Darvell at email@example.com or call him on 07968 980 293 to discuss the position further.
Deadline for applications: 29 June 2018
Interviews to be held at mutually convenient location: July/August 2018
Meetings and contact time
As a rural company we understand the challenges of our location and want our board be diverse and experienced. As such we anticipate that:
- The Board will meet initially face-to-face for a full day induction.
- The Board will then meet face-to-face once a year, travel costs covered, with all other quarterly meetings to be via Skype/phone.
- The Chair is able to visit the company office and be available to the Artistic Director on a regular basis and in person 6 times a year.
- Appointments will initially be for one year with the possibility of being renewed.
- Board members will be expected to read thoroughly and give feedback on company plans, policies and documents via e-mail once a quarter.
- Board members may take particular interest in an aspect of the company, given their area of expertise, and additional Skype/phone meetings will be related to that aspect and undertaken in a flexible manner.
- In addition to board meetings, other contact – usually electronic or by telephone – will be necessary.
"A unique, beautiful and creepy experience of dance and digital"
Annette Mees - Creative Fellow, WIRED & The Space